This beta was included on a driver CD bundled with the Diamond Monster3D graphics card. Despite being dated Ocober 1996, the code it was compiled from is actually from May, making it one of the oldest TR1 beteas we've seen. It contains the first two levels, Caves and City of Vilcabamba. There is also a file for Lost Valley, but it does not run. Similar to the Work in Progress Version, this is a rolling non-playable demo that runs off a script file. Gh0stBlade's patch, which I've included in the download link, makes it playable. However, he did not find a way to enable the menus.
Since this is a 3DFX demo, it will not run in the normal version of DOSBox. Instead, you'll need to use DOSBox SVN-Daum. Once you install this, open it and go to the Dos → Glide Emulation → Internal Emulation sub menu and click Enable. Then drag TOMB.EXE over the window to play. Unfortunately, the emulation is laggy. To play Caves, back up the files named CURRENT and rename the files named LEVEL1 to CURRENT.
- Different level layout in Caves. Darts are missing and the Mayan calendar appears in a totally different spot. Where there should be bridges, there are floating snake statues instead.
- As in other betas, Lara starts City of Vilcabamba in front of the big doors instead of behind them, and they are textured differently. Many of the small doors throughout the level are missing, leaving empty door ways.
- Sound effects are similar to the Planet Lara beta, and completely different from the final version
- Lara can stand and move on steep sloped surfaces without sliding
- As in the E3 beta, Lara jumps up into the air when she surfaces from water
- As in the E3 beta, levers are oversized and don't work
- As in the E3 beta, the game crashes when Lara stands on the trap door near the end of City of Vilcabamba